Thursday, August 28, 2008

Zdravstvulte! (Hello!)

Well, we have made it to Ukraine! Our new host mom, Helen, has warmly welcomed us and knows a lot of broken English, which is so nice. She is wonderful! She is really young and so energetic! Our apartment looks pretty looming and scary from the outside; the elevator coming in felt like the tower of terror, not even joking, so scary. The hallway was so dark and creepy, with cracked walls and dim lighting, if there even was any lighting, I think Breanne and I tripped about three times each coming in. But then Helen came to the door, so happy and cheerful with her bright colored apartment just beaming at us it was such an exciting relief. What a pleasant place. My cousin Breanne and I share a room. It is a fairly decent room. I really like it. I may rearrange it very soon though.
I have taught myself the Russian alphabet, what a crazy thing that is, and have picked up on about 15 words in the past ten hours of being here. So confusing! P sounds like an R, the B makes a V sound, M is M- yay!, an H is an N and a backwards N sounds like EE. It is insane! Then they try to throw this snowflake-looking thing at you and tell you it makes a zh sound, as in pleasure. And so many other symbols that I would have never associated with a sound! But, it is awesome! What a great experience to be here. There is so much history in this city. Each child gets taught at least 4 languages during there schooling! It is crazy! Everyone is so nice here, but they just don’t smile, except for Helen, she is so happy! What a great place to be! Thank you for all of your prayers and support, it truly has helped, and I am so grateful. It is weird to think that my Wednesday just ended, but yours hasn’t even happened yet. Crazy!

Our first day in Kiev! I know how to say a ton of things now, if you consider the alphabet to be in the ‘things’ category. I can read just about everything around me, but if you ask me what it means, I will have no clue! The culture, and the way everything looks, is completely different from what I expected. Actually, I never really knew what to expect, so it is just very different. The smells are sick! The people don’t smile, but they are so nice, but definitely not friendly. (Ah, to bad you can’t hear the way I am typing this, because in my head, I am speaking with a Russian accent.) Anyway, what a place!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha ha i can just see you and breanne stumbling around in that dark hallway. i'm glad your host mom is cool and that you got there safely. Love you! Bean

Anonymous said...

I am SO excited 4 you! You are going 2 do AMAZING and everyone is going 2 love you. I know this 4 a fact cause everyone here loves you and misses you already. I wish I could be there with you, but here with the kids will have 2 do 4 now. I love you and miss you and am SO proud of you. I cant wait 2 see you. missing you lots-your big sister.

Background

x

Contributors